The Mayor’s Office of Economic Development is seeking a Startup Manager for the City of Boston. The ideal candidate will be driven to support entrepreneurial-ism in neighborhoods across the city and further position Boston as a place for innovative entrepreneurs to start, scale up, and grow a business in the city.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of job):
The candidate will work with business and community organizations to source ideas and an understanding of the business needs to support entrepreneurship and innovation in neighborhoods across the city. Furthermore, the candidate will work with higher education, incubator programs, startups, venture capitalists, and community development organizations to foster and enhance partnerships to improve doing business for entrepreneurs in the city.
- Serves as the Mayor’s Liaison to Boston’s startup community and the existing innovation institutions such as District Hall and the Roxbury Innovation Center.
- Increases access to capital, talent, and other resources within Boston’s growing startup and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Coordinates across units within the Office of Economic Development and partnering city agencies to support policies, practices, and programs that promote the diversity of talent within Boston’s startup ecosystem.
- Drives policy making decisions to maintain and grow Boston’s economy.
- Conducts outreach to key stakeholders and residents in communities to understand existing and emerging needs and opportunities to ensure diverse participation in Boston’s growing startup ecosystem.
- Creates public-private partnerships to foster a productive dialogue between members of the community and existing businesses.
- Provides technical assistance to startup companies that are just beginning as well as thriving existing start-ups
- Assists new and existing startup businesses in efforts to expand in or relocate to Boston.
- Establishes and maintains a database of commercial real estate brokers, developers and landowner to evaluate proposals for new projects and to streamline the process for establishing office space.
- Performs related work as required.
- Service customers utilizing a plan that solves problems, increases the speed of development and assists developers, businesses and property owners to resolve problems with the City and other agencies
- At least two (2) of full-time, or equivalent part-time related years of prior work experience.
- Interest in the entrepreneurial side of City Hall, self-starting and innovation.
- Strong communication skills.
- Passion for improving Boston’s startup community and economic landscape.
- General understanding of the real estate market in Boston.
- A bachelor’s degree in planning, economics, public administration, business administration, urban studies or marketing, or a minimum of 4 years in the equivalent work experience.
- Familiarity with state and local government operations and processes.
- Ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Boston Residency is required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: Nonunion/Nongraded Salary $47000.00 - $57000.00
Hours per week: 35