Job Duties: The Investment Analyst will gain valuable experience in cleantech venture capital through supporting a broad range of investment-related activities.
1) New Investments and Transaction Support: Help the Investments team identify promising clean energy companies and execute new investments to grow our portfolio.
- a. Help track, analyze and evaluate new clean energy investment opportunities;
- b. Help evaluate and review applications for MassCEC funding and supporting materials, and conduct due diligence, including business plan evaluation, and general, financial, and technical due diligence;
- c. Assist in preparation of presentations and recommendations for investment to senior management, the Investments Committee, and the Board of Directors;
- d. Deal/transaction processing support – support in preparation of presentations for the Investments Committee and internal teams, coordinating deal closing processes, and leading process documentation;
2) Investments Portfolio Support: Work closely with all members of the Investments team as we engage with and provide support to companies that we’ve already invested in.
- a. Lead the semi-annual Request for Information process with existing MassCEC portfolio companies, including communicating with companies, as well as review, summary, and analysis of responses
- b. Continuously update and maintain summary performance metrics on portfolio companies;
- c. Maintain relevant investment tracking databases for the team, including valuation spreadsheet and related documents;
- d. Lead transaction processing for follow-on investments;
3) Program Administration: Play a leading role in program administration and deployment for both the Investments and Innovation & Industry Support Divisions’ grant and convertible note programs for early-stage companies.
- a. Lead program administration of early-stage grant and convertible note programs, including:
- i. Solicitation, application review and summary, and performance monitoring of past awardees
- ii. Draft program materials, plan events, and coordinate communication with internal and external organizations, companies, and accelerators
- b. Programs to support will include:
- i. AccelerateMass
- ii. Catalyst
- iii. AmplifyMass
4) Other Investments Team Support: Play a key role in making the Investments team operate efficiently and coordinating our work with other teams at MassCEC.
- a. Respond to data and information requests from within the organization;
- b. Play a role representing MassCEC at meetings, conferences, and working sessions;
- c. Assist with administrative duties such as meeting notes, preparing agendas, writing briefs, preparing documents for CEO signature, scheduling meetings, and other tasks as directed by other investments staff; and
- d. Provide guidance and training to the Investments Fellow, as directed by other investments staff
- e. Assist the Chief Operating Officer (COO) in managing the Investments Committee preparation process, including preparing and finalizing electronic and hard copies of materials, assisting with preparation scheduling, and other Investments Committee and Board-related Investments tasks as directed by the COO.
Position Qualifications: Education:
- Minimum undergraduate university degree; and
- Background in engineering, science, business and/or environmental studies, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 0-2 years of work experience;
- Internship, co-op, or entry-level experience in energy, finance or investments, a plus;
- Strong organizational capabilities and attention to detail;
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong command of Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated ability to obtain and review complex technical information and clearly articulate conclusions and associated recommendations;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively; and
- Interest in clean energy technology and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges.
About the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), as a quasi-public entity, plays a critical role in fostering the success of our state’s clean energy sector. MassCEC actively supports the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to addressing Massachusetts’ energy challenges, maintaining national leadership in clean energy, and meeting the requirements of the Global Warming Solutions Act. MassCEC undertakes targeted programmatic initiatives to accelerate cost reductions in clean energy, help consumers diversify their energy choices and address evolving energy needs, leverage public and private funds to drive investment into this rapidly-growing sector, and scale-up renewable energy deployment across the state.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter through our Online Career Center.
- Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability and perspectives are encouraged to apply.